Today the Bride and Groom are moving into their new home. After years of renting, they found a house to call their very own. Congratulations, it seems the American dream is alive and well in Nashville!
As for me, except for the plaster dust, I’m in heaven. The drywallers went down to the basement to join the painters, and the main construction crew was outside the laundry room repairing the stone patio. For a few minutes, I found myself alone. Since my aviary is under plastic, I decided to sit down and write in front of CNN on silent; but Elizabeth Warren was introducing Hillary Clinton and I just had to listen.
Together, they make a dream team for this old feminist. Is it too much to ask Sen Warren to join Hillary’s ticket? I would start a new hashtag #Nanasfornanas – and to top off my exceptional (but my eyes feel like sandpaper) morning, SCOTUS just overturned the harsh Texas TRAP laws in a 5 to 3 ruling! The Justices said those restrictions are an “undue burden” for women seeking an abortion. It’s a victory for women’s/human rights. In 2016 let’s all agree a woman’s right to a safe legal abortion shall not be infringed.
Hillary just called Trump, “Temperamentally unfit,” for the Office of President. She said we need to write a new chapter in the American Dream, and it can’t be Chapter 11! I admit that I gagged when I heard Trump, standing out on his Scottish gold course, rave about how the devaluation of the British pound would be good for HIS business. What an obnoxious, elitist a$$hole!
I hope that next year, Hillary and Bill will be moving back into the White House. So I thought, with moving on my mind and flying text messages from Nashville on my cell, I’d list a few tricks to a stress-free move.
- Movers don’t move candles!? So throw them out or put them in your car.
- Pack all your sheets and towels in a separate box, along with soap and toilet paper. Pack another box with cleaning supplies They should be last in the truck – first out – or carry them in your car.
- Hire a babysitter if Nanas and Granddads are not around.
- Also, and this is important, put someone in charge of the dog! I can’t tell you how many people I know who have lost their dog while moving. They are amazing escape artists.
- Buy a pizza for the moving people for lunch – it will be unexpected and highly appreciated. Oh, and tip them well when they are done, especially if they have put bed frames and cribs back together for you.
I’m wishing my daughter’s family lots of love and happiness in their new home! I stopped helping my kids move years ago, but I’ll drive down later to help them decorate! This is the first big move for our adult children, one where they didn’t pack the UHaul themselves with their friends. Wish I could help her unpack the kitchen.
Don’t forget to throw some salt over your left shoulder for luck! I’ll see you soon with the rocking chair Great Grandpa Hudson made for the baby’s room.